MEDIA RELEASE: NSW Police challenge family-friendly climate "protestival" in Supreme Court

A family-friendly climate protest at the Newcastle coal port faces a Supreme Court challenge this Friday, after police launched legal action against the event, the first time it has faced such a challenge over 12 previous protests.

The planned community “protestival” from November 19-28th at the world’s largest coal port will be calling for an end to new coal and gas approvals, and the imposition of a 78% tax on coal and gas exports to fund the energy transition.

Rising Tide organisers are seeking legal protection for a 50-hour flotilla blockade of the shipping channel, and a festival on Horseshoe Beach, with 30 live music acts including Peter Garrett, ARIA award winner John ButlerAngie McMahon and Indigenous rapper Dobby booked to play. Thousands of people from Newcastle and across the country are expected to attend the event. 

The court summons came after NSW Premier, Chris Minns, who was in Newcastle today, told the Newcastle Herald "I don't want to be antagonistic about it, other than to say that if you block that port and put obstacles in the way of industry, it prevents and hurts our ability to transition the economy. The state's biggest export as of today is still coal, and I'm not switching it off tomorrow".

Police were first notified of the event in April and Rising Tide organisers have engaged constructively since then.  

Briohny Coglin, Form 1 proponent, lawyer and mother said:

“This is a massive overreach from a government which wants to quash criticism because they know that they have a terrible record on climate. Our community is rightfully concerned about the climate crisis and are coming together to peacefully call on our government to take stronger climate action. The Minns Government should be listening to these concerns, not trying to suppress dissent. 

“Free speech and protest are fundamental cornerstones of democracy, where citizens are able to hold politicians to account. If Minns wants to live in a society where protest isn’t allowed then he should move to North Korea.”


Rising Tide organiser and law student Zack Schofield said:

“The People’s Blockade is a family-friendly, peaceful protest that has a proud tradition in Newcastle, and has taken place 12 times in the past. We stand by our comprehensive risk management plan and will welcome a Greenpeace Australia Pacific safety boat team to Newcastle to help manage water safety.

“Regardless of this legal challenge by police, it will always be completely lawful to assemble on a public beach and parklands and to kayak on Newcastle harbour. Now more than ever we need to exercise our democratic right to protest, so we hope to see thousands of people join us at the People’s Blockade.

“Chris Minns claims this protest will disrupt transition funding for communities, but Hunter Jobs Alliance figures show that while the Hunter region produces 65 percent of the state’s coal royalties, we receive less than 2 percent of that money back in investment and support. 

“Further, under the NSW Future Jobs and Investment Authorities, 90 percent of Hunter coal workers will receive no support for transition whatsoever.”

“If Minns wants the coal industry to support transition, we call on him to endorse our demand for a 78 percent export tax on coal and gas to properly take care of the Hunter, rather than demanding us to be content with table scraps.”

Dr Louise Boon-Kuo, Senior Lecturer, University of Sydney Law School:

“It is concerning that the NSW Police Commissioner has sought a Supreme Court order to prohibit Rising Tide's planned protest. It is important to remember that a prohibition order does not make a protest illegal. The freedom of assembly and protest is a key way that people can participate in political debates. “


MEDIA CONTACT: Tom Morton 0402 610 656

FOR COMMENT: Zack Schofield 0427 449 696